Thursday 2 June 2011

Sculpting Flat Pieces 2

Today we started off by finishing off any pieces we'd started in the last session. I had begun a cut.


The shape is a simple, small cut which I imagine to go on a fatty part of the body. Therefore I began to add fat cells on the inside. This also stops the texture of the tile being transferred onto the flat piece.


I continued to add small rolls of clay until I had filled the gap in the cut. I then texturised the clay to resemble skin.


I had a much shorter amount of time in which to create this flat piece so I am not as pleased with it as I was by eye bag. I could have spent longer on the skin texture and the definition of the cut.

After we had finished sculpting we began making the channel and wall for when the silicone is poured in. We created a channel in the mold as this gives a good edge to the piece that is very neat. An advantage of this is if you're using bondo to create the prosthetic is prevents the bondo from shrinking inwards. It also gives a good edge to hold onto whilst working with the prosthetic.

1) Roll a sausage of clay out and put around edge of prosthetic, flattening slightly. Make sure to leave enough room for a good amount of cap plastic/bondo.



2) Neaten the edges on the inside and the outside using a scalpel/palette knife. This will create a neat channel meaning the prosthetic will be easier to work with and last longer.

3) Make a wall around the edge of prosthetic and channel. The wall needs to be considerably higher than the prosthetic as it will have the silicone poured into.


4) Push down the outer edge of the wall to stop any holes occurring. Silicone is very viscous and can pour out of any holes in the wall so the wall must be 'airtight'.



5) Neaten up the inside of the wall making sure there are no holes and the clay is flush to the board. The smoother the inside wall the better the silicone mold with come out.




Evaluation

Although I was not completely satisfied with my clay cut as i didn't have enough time to perfect it I am very pleased with my clay channel and wall. I think they are the right distance from the pieces so that I will have enough cap plastic to glue down. My wall started off very messy on the inside but after some time I had smoothed it out a lot and I feel this will benefit my silicone mold in being stronger and more resilient. Overall I am pleased with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment