Tuesday 14 June 2011

The National Portrait Gallery

10 - National Portrait Gallery


Last Wednesday we visited the National Portrait Gallery as art of our research for Dramatic Contexts. We focused on Tudors, Stuarts, Victorians and any portraits before World War Two. I wrote down some of the portraits I liked best in the rooms:





For the final piece I want to chose something relatively simple so I can concentrate on perfectly sculpting the pieces and making it as intricate and true to the portrait as possible. The portraits I was most drawn towards at the gallery were:

11 - Elizabeth I

12 - Anne Boleyn

13 - Richard III

14 - Christabel Pankhurst
 I feel that going to the National Portrait Gallery was an invaluable experience as it was a lot more inspiring to see the paintings up close where the textures and brush strokes were clearer. It also allowed me to see the way portraiture changed over periods of history and the way portraits weren't necessarily anatomically accurate to the sitter - some important figures in history were painted in a more flattering way in some portraits than in others. I will not be deciding between the four portraits above for my final piece.




No comments:

Post a Comment